ABOUT GIRL SCOUTS:
Are you mission-driven, looking to work in a dynamic team environment, and influence the lives of girls? If so, take the time to check out Girl Scouts of Western New York.
Since 1912, Girl Scouts has empowered girls to develop the skills and the voice to become successful and productive citizens. Girl Scouting builds girls of courage, confidence and character, who make the world a better place.
If you are looking for a seasonal position whereby you can be part of this exciting, empowering, and valuable experience, we encourage you to apply. We look forward to hearing from you!
Summary: To assist the Camp Director in the administration and coordination of the summer resident camp program.
If interested in this full time seasonal salary position according to Fair Labor Standards Act (“FLSA”) Section 13(a)(3) (29 U.S.C. § 213(a)(3) that may be available , please apply via this application process.
- Required to become a member of the Girl Scouts of the USA at time of employment.
- Must complete and pass the State Clearance form, as well as, the Prospective Children’s Camp Director Certified Statement form.
- Attend mandatory supervisors weekend in May (date and time to be determined)
- Assumes the responsibility of the Camp Director in his/her absence.
- Assists the Camp Director with the hiring of camp staff.
- Keeps open lines of communication with the Camp Director/Director of Outdoor Program on a daily basis.
- Works closely with the Camp Director in developing the pre-camp training schedule.
- Responsible for teaching specialized trainings during pre-camp.
- Works with the Camp Director to help build staff morale and growth by making himself/herself visible as a role model around camp.
- Works as a team player.
- Assists the Camp Director in acting as host or hostess for the camp and its community.
- Supervises and submits a written evaluation for the following 7 direct reports: Riding Director, Ropes Course Director, Trip Director, CIT Director, Head Counselor, Program Director/Unit Staff and Camp Aide.
- When acting as program director (if applies) Plan and coordinate using weekly themes: all-camp programs, camper’s choice activities, opening and closing campfires while maintaining program budget.
- Notify all staff and campers of the daily camp schedule and special activities by making announcements at meals.
- Plan and implement theme meals (i.e.: Caveman Lunch, Backwards Day, etc.)
- Oversee daily flag ceremonies ensure there are staff and campers to participate in flag ceremonies.
- Collect all badge requirement sheets from activity counselors.
- In conjunction with the Head Counselor (if applies), coordinates the staff night out schedule to insure there is adequate night coverage.
- Assist the Head Counselor (if applies) with the daily interaction of the unit staff.
- Assist the store manager in maintaining the resident camp blog
- Assist the camp aide in obtaining appropriate camp pictures for the resident cam blog.
- Works with other Administrative Staff members to conduct nightly rounds of the camp property.
- Will share the responsibility, with the other Administrative Staff, for required on property weekend coverage.
- Participates in all aspects of camp including pre-camp training, open house and post camp.
- Apply behavior management techniques to conflicts with children when necessary.
- Report incidents/ accidents to supervisor or health supervisor immediately.
- Report suspected child abuse to supervisor immediately.
- Submits written final evaluation to the camp director of the position’s strong points, weak points and ideas for next season.
- Required to stay on the property during hours of operation (Sunday 10:00am to Friday 9:00pm)
- Accepts other responsibilities as deemed necessary by the Camp Director/Director of Outdoor Program
- Develops professional goals for the summer that will help support and meet GSWNY’s mission and camp goals.
- Willingness to abide by the policies and practices of the Girl Scouts of Western New York, Inc.
- Minimum age: 21
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent of at least 2 years of experience in administrative, supervisory camp position.
- Possess valid driver’s license and be cleared to drive the council’s leased vehicles through the council’s insurance agency.
- Demonstrate ability to guide/supervise other adults.
- Certified Sex Offender Registry and Criminal Background Check will be completed for personnel file.
- Desire and ability to work with and relate to children and peers in an outdoor environment.
- Current certification in RTE and CPR or individual is willing to complete certification course during designated training day.
- Prior camp experience and/or interest in the Girl Scout camping program.
- Willingness to place the needs of girls and camp able personal desires.
- Good health and stamina necessary to work in the camp setting.
- The acceptance of irregular work hours.
- Demonstrate sound problem solving techniques.
- The acceptance of irregular work hours.
- The acceptance and understanding that employment is at a resident (overnight) camp.
- Assist the campers in emergency situations.
- Lift 35 pounds.
- Possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision.
- Demonstrate sensitivity to the needs of campers.
- Demonstrate enthusiasm, sense of humor, patience, self-control and ability to adapt well to changing situations.
- Participate in structured and unstructured activities.
- Accept and follow directions both in verbal and written form.
- Provide excellent customer service to other staff members, campers, parents and visitors to camp.
Girl Scout Membership:
All Employees of Girl Scouts must maintain an active, annual membership in Girl Scouts of Western New York. This membership must be renewed annually, and all newly hired employees are expected to enroll with GSWNY within the first 30 days of their employment.
Girl Scouts of Western New York celebrates diversity in all forms and is committed to creating an inclusive, collaborative and supportive environment for all. All employment decisions are based qualifications, merit, performance and the needs of the organization. As an equal opportunity employer, GSWNY does not discriminate on the basis of any qualified applicant’s race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status or any other groups or persons protected by federal, state or local law.